Wednesday, January 30, 2013

DIY Anchor Stenciled Sweater - J.Crew Inspired (Sorta)




Hi! Crazy thing happened. I had a fun idea. I planned it out, (googled and printed the anchor!) but than the next day I open up my Pinterest to see this image:


(!!!)

Ok ok- I know J.Crew didn't steal my idea (most obviously because they are mass producing this product and I just just made it) but I will proudly say that I have been inspired by J.Crew many times before! They have gorgeous things and I'm happy to "copy" them. Haha. Truth is, this idea is probably all over the blogosphere and I didn't even search in fear that everyone else did better than me. :) But I have lots of tips to share so that you make yours better than mine too!

All you need is:
  • Shirt you want to vamp up (I love it on stripes!)
  • Cut a flap off a plastic 2-fold folder to create a durable lasting stencil or if you just can't wait to make it, Cardstock works alright!
  • Anchor image (Google images and find the one you like most)
  • Razor or Exacto-knife
  • Fabric Paint (@ Michael's or craft store for a couple of dollars! Lots and lots of color choices!)
  • Paintbrush or sponge
  • Painters tape

Most of these things are lying around the house. The shirt my boy is wearing was actually a thrift find! I had to sew in the sides a little because it was very wide and I knew he wouldn't grow into it. 


 Decide where you want it. I have no idea why I didn't center mine. Luckily, it turned out alright...

I taped the little piece in the middle too. This is where you can learn from my mistakes. If you are using the cardstock method, reinforce all the edges with tape so that paint doesn't seep into the gaps. The plastic cover idea makes a more sturdy stencil but I didn't have one on hand and wanted to get this project done!


After I filled in the stencil, I painted downwards with the brush all over so it looks like even strokes. A sponge could add interesting texture!

The instructions say to let dry flat for 4 hours. I didn't remove my paper stencil right away because I was nervous, but do it! Take it off. The paper will dry to the shirt and will be difficult to than take off once its dried. 

It is safe to wash after 72 hours. 

I love it! How great is this that it's gender neutral! I want one for me and for my baby girl and for a canvas beach bag and on and on! Can't you totally see a gold shimmery anchor on everything you own?? Yea, me neither. :)

One more picture - sibling love. :)



What did you think of this? Super easy, right?? 

Thanks so much for stopping by :)




1 comment: