Tuesday, March 19, 2013

How to Fix a Broken Zipper (The Lazy Way)

Hi! I thought about not posting about this because it's actually kind of silly but I thought maybe someone has had the same dilemma and has thrown that dilemma in the donation pile or even worse- the trash! But I am getting way ahead of myself.

One day, in a rush, I purchased an adorable dress from Forever 21. They had a sale going on that was 50% off all the sale items and I was grabbing stuff left and right! I didn't get a chance to try anything on therefore didn't notice the major fault that this adorable $5 dress had... The zipper was broken...! Had I tried it on, I wouldn't have thought twice about buying it. I mean, "is this worth it?" I would have thought, not realizing just how simple the fix really is! As fate would have it, I didn't try it on and bought the broken zipper dress and that is the reason I write this post!



Truth is: I have never sewn in a zipper. I don't think it's too hard. It appears to be easy (especially if the garment had a prior zipper and everything is ready for a new zipper) but I have yet to try it. This lazy way fix will only work if your garment is a stretch fabric! The zipper is meant to make it easier to put a garment on but in most cases, it is impossible to put on without a zipper. Here is what I did...




Gut out the broken zipper. Use a Seam Riper. It is super easy and fast when using this and an inexpensive disposable must have for even a beginner sewer (like myself).

Pin the opening closed where the zipper was.

Sew down the line and reinforce (sew over twice- forgot to picture!). Make sure to back stitch the beginning and the end. 



Wear and no one will every know it used to have a zipper...


Just a note: I had no problem slipping this dress on without a zipper!
Dress: Forever 21, Blazer: Limited (Thrifted), Leopard Scarf: (Thrifted), Shoes: Nine West, Belt: H&M

That incredible leopard print scarf (with two actual leopards) is the most amazing thrift store find!! If you follow me on Instagram, you have already been blown away by it ;)

Via my Instagram
Can I just add: Who ever said leopard matches everything??... is a GENIUS. I don't know how it does, but it just does.

Hope to have more actual refashions up soon!

Have a wonderful day!! Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment