Tuesday, August 7, 2012

DIY Dip Dye Ombre Top

Hello my dear reader!


I bought a plain white top at my favorite thrift store a few weeks ago. I was attracted to it because of the sheer-like fabric and the vintage cut which are both very on-trend right now. I loved the simplicity of it. 




After trying to wear the top a few times, I realized it was just too PLAIN. I though of adding lace in some way but than I remembered fabric dye and I knew I always wanted to try it. Images flooded my mind. Ombré. The word itself sounds beautiful. Although my "ombré" didn't turn out as well as I thought it would, I don't regret it. I had no idea how easy it was to dye something! I will definitely be experimentally more with this technique.


I looked for a bright or fuchsia pink but our Michael's didn't have any color like that. This was second best. It was like $2? Still can't get over how inexpensive it is and how big of a transformation it can make. It's like paint for a room! This might be common sense to you all, but just bear with me. :)


 1. There are a few different ways of dyeing. All of the steps and options are written on the box. I decided to do it with boiling water in a bucket since it was easiest for my dip dye idea. First, add boiling water to a bucket. I didn't really measure but it should be enough so the article can move freely. Wet your shirt in the hot water and then remove it. Add the dye and mix. I added half of the packet. I didn't want it to be too dark at first.



 2. Put your shirt in but keep the top part out. I "hung" it on a hanger to one side and dipped it in. This was my first mistake. I went to far and therefore have less white left then I wanted. : /

3. For the first step I did a dipping motion, hoping to obtain the ombre look. It didn't turn out. Some suggestions if you're hoping to try: Dip it in and pull some out almost immediately. The dye works fast and you won't end up seeing a difference if you leave it in longer. In other words, ignore the instructions on the box telling you to keep mixing, etc. That is for a full even dye. This wasn't supposed to be.




4. After about 5 minutes, I took out some more. Just the tip of the shirt was left. I added the rest of the dye and mixed.


 5. This part I left in for 10-15 minutes. I should have probably left it in longer. After that, follow the instructions. Rinse in cold water from top to bottom and gradually go to warm water until the water runs clear. Put in washing machine.Wash alone if it's a dark dye. Do not dry in dryer to keep the colors more vibrant! I only read that today on another blog! So, your welcome! ;)



 6. Do a better job next time! (well that step is just for me, really! I know you will do great the first time around!)




I love the back more than the front because it ended up with more white! See how much prettier that is? 








 It wasn't the color I wanted but it did end up matching perfectly with my favorite floral blazer from H&M!






Notice the rain? It was this day or wait for my photographer (my hubby!) to be avaliable again :) So, at the front door it is. :)

Although it wasn't everything I wanted it to be, I know I will still have use out of this shirt! I have already worn it with a skinny gold belt and if anything, it will always look great with this jacket. 

The total project was: $3.00. Do It Yourself!  It's worth it! 

I came across this >DIY Dip Dye Maxi Skirt < after I already made this shirt and wanted to share it with you! It is absolutely dreamy. I check out her blog every now and than because she has amazing fashion DIYs! She is currently living in Hong Kong and that's what I love most about blogs- you can connect with another person on the other side of the world!! I'm sorry- you might spend all day there!

I hope the rest of your week is LOVELY. Thanks so much for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment