Thursday, August 30, 2012

Polka Dots Everywhere! A-line to Pencil Skirt Tutorial


Hey there! 

Have you seen all the polka dots everywhere lately? I am in love. There is such a feel of youth in polka dots but I love how grown up they have gotten as well! 
Some of my favorites that inspire...



via
via
via
via  


via 


via





















While thrifting in our local Goodwill, I spotted a dotted skirt and in a great durable material. It was an a-line shape so I knew I would want to adjust it to pencil and since the waist (almost) fit, it was an easy redo!


1. Place a skirt on top that fits the way you like.



Make sure the skirt your using as a template sits on your waist the same place as your redo skirt will. For example, I wanted to make this skirt into high-waisted but since the zipper was at the side, it would be too difficult to do (for my skill level!). I'm measuring with a pencil skirt that sits on my hips...



2. Measure the skirt on both sides before you pin so you have the skirt centered. Not sewing straight can cause the pattern to go side ways!

3. Draw a line and pin done the side. I originally thought I would need to follow the line of the dots, but after trying it on (with the pins) I realized the pattern gets blended in together and it wouldn't matter. You would need to pin your redo skirt inside out.


4. Since my skirt was lined, I un-threaded the top so I could smoothly transition into the original seam. (without a bulge)


 5. Sew down the line, removing pins as you go...


 6. Turn right side out and try on. Make any adjustments you want. I resewed it a little more narrow because I felt like it wasn't "pencil" enough. :)


7. Finish the edge with a zig-zag to reassure the stitch from coming apart. Cut off excess. 



  9. Done! Wear your $3 pencil skirt happily!



I have more re-fashion's to show you soon! As of now, my left pointer finger is handicap! I was busily trying to finish a shirt refashion yesterday and sewn right through my finger!! :( Painful is not an adequate word to describe it!!  I guess we all have to go it once! :) Hopefully this is my once and it won't happen again! 

Hope you are having a safe and wonderful ending to your work week! If not: the weekend is only one day away!

Thanks for reading and I would love to hear your thoughts!! Are you going to try this? If no, WHY NOT? :)

4 comments:

  1. You make me wish i had a sewing machine. :( I borrowed one and made a thrifted skirt fit me better and some crooked curtains, but your ideas are much more fun. :) Also, I love your header!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daddy bought mine in a thrift store! So it pays off to look in bigger city thrift stores. :) I hope you get one! And thank you for leaving a comment!

      Delete
  2. Looks great Vicka! My sewing machine is still in the box, I really need to open it and learn how to use it, your a great inspiration! And yes last day of work and a 3 day weekend ahead! Woop woop! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you start using it, you'll want to use it more and more. It's always the getting started that takes some effort. :) Glad you are getting some breaks in your work!

      Delete