Thursday, April 16, 2015

Put A (Floral) Crown On It

Hi!



So I am sure you have seen the floral crown craze all over the internet (and Pinterest) but I wanted to add yet another tutorial to the many out there.. Just because everyone seems to do it a little different. Although there is no wrong way to make a floral crown, mine is the right way. Haha! Kidding of course.

I tend to over-simplify things. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. But I made my crown with only two things: fake flowers and floral wire. I didn't even use floral tape because I wasn't worried too much about the messiness of it- I felt it adds character :) But if you want to be all proper-like, get some floral tape too.

Everything I used I got from the Michael's Craft Store. The flowers are the inexpensive ones and they also were on sale. Pictured above is all I used (and have some left over) For adult size crown, buy 1-2 more stems than pictured. (Also check your thrift stores! I always see fake flower arrangements there that would work great!)

1. Wrap the floral wire a few times into a circle shape. Measure the head that will be wearing your handiwork and adjust as needed.



2. Pull or cut off your flowers from the main branches.




Keep some of the double stemmed flowers to add some dimension to your crown. (They will lay in a more natural way). That is actually the one I started with but any bigger size flower would be a good start.


3. Wrap wire around to secure the flower to the circle. I pre-cut little pieces of so they are ready for grabbing.


4. Start adding more flowers.

 

Alternate which way your flower stem is attached to make it more thick. You don't want to see gaps into the wire (mess). If you are using floral tape, wrap around the wire to cover the parts sticking out.



You can stop when you are half/ three-quarters of the way if you would like! It looks just as cute.


Or continue all the way around..


You're done! Keep an editorial eye on it, pulling it away and at eye-level to see where there are gaps. Add anywhere you feel has too much space between flowers but don't overthink it! You can also add long strips of ribbon to the back side and loop them through (like this: the way I made the shabby-chic streamer). Your princess will enjoy the way the ribbon blows in the wind :) I didn't add it to mine but it still got the approval from my princess.






NOTE: This isn't safe for little babes. The wire that is trimmed can scratch a grabby, curious baby. Please be careful! If you are making for baby photoshoot purposes, use floral tape to cover the tips.

Hope you enjoyed the photos of my (not-so-little) girl! We used the floral crown for Em's Birthday back in November but she wasn't the one wearing it. Hehe- hope to share photos of her birthday party soon!

Thank you so much for reading!!

Love, 
Viktoria




No comments:

Post a Comment