Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Thrifted Denim Dress Refashion

Hi! I hope you all had a wonderful Easter! We celebrated the Risen Christ and meditated on His sacrifice and rejoiced in the eternal life that Jesus has promised us. I pray you have received this truth in your heart as well!

I have been seeing these type of flowy effortless dresses everywhere lately! And the bigger surprise: they are denim. It kinda makes me laugh because if you are a thrifter (if you have rummaged through yard sales, thrift stores or estate sales) you have seen this dress. It just needed to be shortened. :) And maybe taken in a bit. The beauty of this thrift find is that it's not special. It's not rare. That may sound like a contradiction but here's why: I know you can find one too! I see at least two of these type of dresses everytime I go into a thrift store.

If you want to save $50 and ALSO make it at a length that you are comfortable with, then see the tutorial below! If you are not a sewer, I linked some inexpensive options at the bottom!

1. First, shorten. Measure the dress while wearing it to see where you want it to end. Add an inch or two (Depending on the width of your hem). I made a thicker hem because I was mimicking the original hemline. (About 1.5 inch)
Cut off after your hem allowance, fold over and sew.


2. Use a similar style dress to guide you where to take in the dress. I tried to cinch the waist a bit but made sure to come out again to the original sleeve. If you are ambitious and don't like the way your sleeves are on you (if they are too big for your frame) you can take them in too. Mine didn't bother me too much.


There are two ways: just sew down the sleeve same way as you would take in the dress 
or 
remove sleeve, make smaller armhole opening and make the sleeve smaller. Than reattach. 
or 
remove sleeves, hem around the opening and have a sleeveless dress!




I also removed my pockets because didn't want to deal with sewing them back on and didn't think I'd miss them. But I do miss them :( will definitely try to reattach those if I do this again.

That's it! Wear it now with your girly flats, or your favorite wedges.





Or dress it up with a blazer and some heels. I think this dress matches every single pair of shoes in my closet! It is so versatile and comfortable.



As promised: options for purchase. Most of these are from ASOS. If I'm looking for something interesting at a lower price I always look at this website first. Then I go to Forever21 :)


1. Forever 21 Baby Doll
2. Gap 
3. ASOS Shift
4. ASOS Curve
5. ASOS Tall Size
6. ASOS Front Tie


Thanks for reading! So happy to have a sewing machine again and hope to have more projects to share soon!

With Love,

Viktoria

No comments:

Post a Comment